Monday, October 14, 2013

Family Home Evening

So, we've decided we really need to get our rears in gear and start doing family home evening consistently.  I kind of feel like October and April are my "New Year's" because of General Conference.  When I'm listening/watching, I'm mentally making a list of resolutions.  This time, having FHE, and studying all the talks from this conference were among the things that made the list.
I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone (sort of), and made an FHE schedule.  It required we start on the Monday right after conference, and we didn't, so today we discussed 2 talks.  The idea is that during the week, Steven and I independently study the talk of the week, then on Monday night, we will take turns leading a discussion about said talk.  I am really excited for the next six months.  I have always wanted to go through and study all of the talks from conference, but I've never made a plan.  Now, we have a plan.  And I think that we will find it is much easier to accomplish this goal with a plan!
Today, we talked about Elder Hales' talk and Elder Soares' talk.  LOVED them both.  Elder Hale's talk was just the perfect way to kick off our conference study because it was about conference.  I loved this line from it:
It created in me yet another resolution, and that is to share the gospel through social media.  I just think that there is so much *yuck* out there, that it needs to be countered.  I will be keeping my twitter account, and I will be using it to share spiritual thoughts. (I suppose you could follow me... but I don't remember exactly my twitter name that I ended up with. I'll get back to you on that... *ahem* @PinkGlitter922 hehe, I love pink and I love glitter)
Elder Soares' talk got me going on a distracted (but very good) study tangent. I ended up in Preach My Gospel looking at Christlike Attributes.  It's amazing how much differently my days are if I take the time to study the gospel.  
SO, we're off to a great start!  I know it won't always be easy, but my hope is to establish a routine in our home that will make it a place that is more conducive to having the spirit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment