Friday, October 23, 2015

PSA

Public Service Announcement:
When the back of the semi truck says "do not pass on right" just listen.
I WAS NOT passing on the right.  I had merely merged onto the freeway and happened to be on the right of a semi.  An unfortunate situation, one that is causing headache.
Let me back up a little.  Well, first, we're fine.  The boys were in the car with me and we're all doing alright.  (unless you count Lucas screaming his lungs out most times I put him in the car...)
I was headed to the park last Thursday.  The one in Kaysville with the castle.  I was supposed to meet my sisters-in-law because one was visiting from out of town.
I merged onto the freeway, and since the entrance puts you in an "exit only" lane, I got myself out of it because I didn't want to get off there.  I had noticed the semi in the middle lane but didn't think much of it.  Apparently, he didn't notice me and thought he was clear to move back into the right lane (let's face it, that's where we all want the semis to hang out).  He bumped my back door, wheel, and bumper.  It sent me fishtailing, and eventually spinning out to the side of the freeway.
At this point, I have to express my gratitude to my Father in Heaven for sending guardian angels to protect us as we spun across that other lane of traffic.  Also, I can't tell you how many times I've prayed in gratitude that we didn't roll.  It could have been so much worse.
We landed facing the same way we had been going, but I don't know how many times we spun (probably just once...).
The kind lady who had gotten on the freeway behind me (actually slammed on her brakes so she didn't hit me) stopped and called 911.  She stayed until she knew we were okay.
My mom came and rescued us. (Since the car wasn't going anywhere without a tow)  We went to the park anyway (YOU try telling a 2 year old he gets to go to the park and see Nana, and then changing your mind).  We bought new car seats (you're supposed to replace them after any collision).  The next day, we got a rental car.
Now, we're in this mess of getting compensated for our losses.  The truck driver was cited, so his insurance is supposed to be taking care of everything.  Which is nice.
But seriously, it would be way nicer if we didn't have to deal with any of this.  Bringing me back to my original message:  BELIEVE the warning on the back of a big rig, and don't hang out on the right side of them.  They can't see you.





4 comments:

  1. Oh, Jennie! I'm sorry about your car, but I'm so grateful you were all okay! How scary!
    And to try and look on the bright side of things... yay for a new car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welllll... That has yet to be determined. They haven't told us whether they totaled it or not. So maybe we get a new car (I wouldn't really cry about that) and maybe we don't (wouldn't be bad either)...

      Delete
    2. Welllll... That has yet to be determined. They haven't told us whether they totaled it or not. So maybe we get a new car (I wouldn't really cry about that) and maybe we don't (wouldn't be bad either)...

      Delete
    3. Welllll... That has yet to be determined. They haven't told us whether they totaled it or not. So maybe we get a new car (I wouldn't really cry about that) and maybe we don't (wouldn't be bad either)...

      Delete